Thursday, October 4, 2012

APAI Secretary Jeri Costa Reports from Uganda!

Greetings!
The African Correctional Services Association conference kicked off on Tuesday, October 2nd. Upon awakening we were greeted with a storm. The rain was a down pour and there was high wind. I braved the down pour using my conference brief case for cover to get to breakfast. The host committee was scrambling for covered vehicles to transport all the delegates up the hill to the conference center. They did an admirable job, however it did manage to set us back on the starting time.
 
It was quite impressive to see the officials and delegates in their official dress uniforms. I will post photos when possible. We were also entertained with lively singing from two groups of women prisoners and with a traditional dance performed by male inmates.
 
There are 22 heads of prison services here and 25 African Countries represented. There are interpreter services being provided by headphone for English, French, Arabic, and Portuguese speakers. The presentations have all been in English, with some of the commentary and questions being asked in other languages.
 
Today is the second day of the conference and it has contained some very informative and diverse information. Internet service remains sporadic. I am currently in the back of the conference room listening to a presentation while using the internet.
 
They break for a late morning tea just before noon and then break for lunch -- which is a very large buffet with a diversity of food choices – at 1p.m.
 
Last night was a cocktail session; however, I did not make it to the festivities. I was so tired that after the long day I went to refresh in my room and ended up falling asleep.
 
People here are so very nice. There have been some language challenges for me, especially with the housekeeping staff at the hotel; but, we have managed to communicate sufficiently. 
 
My presentation is scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am currently making some adjustments based on the presentations and discussions thus far. Thursday afternoon the Ugandan Prison Services (host committee) will be providing tour choices. I have chosen to tour a female prison.

 Much Love and Blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment